Thursday, November 23, 2006

Fountains of Pretension

I have two friends, an older couple, who lost their son in a car accident when he was 18 years old. I never knew him personally. However, I did come to know him through the experiences of my friends. Whenever I would visit, they would pull out scrapbooks of their son's childish drawings, or an essay he wrote, or a letter he composed while on vacation. Their memories, still fresh for them, they related to me in an effort to help me understand THEIR LOSS. And while I learned about the kid through them, his memory and his life do not impact me emotionally. I UNDERSTAND their grieving, and out of my love for them I support them, but I cannot ever relate to their son and his life in any way other than the abstract.

Such is the ultimate undoing of "The Fountain," the newest creation of film festival favorite Darren Aronofsky. The film, primarily concerning a scientist named Thomas Creo (Hugh Jackman) and his attempts to cure his wife Izzy's (Rachel Weitz) inoperable brain tumor, leaps through three separate stories set in radically different time periods. Besides the present day Thomas and his frantic race against his wife's death, we see a 15th century conquistador named Tomas (Jackman again) searching for the Tree of Life, as well as a bald astronaut named Tom (Jackman yet again) floating through space to rendezvous with a nebula in a far away galaxy.

Aronofsky has Big Ideas he wishes to present to us, replete with fancy editing and camera tricks to EMPHASIZE the importance of his message. Unfortunately Aronofsky, obviously overcome with infatuation for this message, falls victim to the same trap as my friends: these ideas appeal to Aronofsky in his mind, but in trying to relate those ideas to a paying audience, he presents images and words as proof of these ideas without making us care one way or another.

Early press compared the film to "2001," and stylistically and tonally there are tremendous similarities. However, "2001" tackled scientific ideas of evolution, invention, destruction, and rebirth, so its cold, calculated tone underscores the message. "The Fountain," however, tackles loss, death, and love - topics that need to be FELT, not pondered over - and so the cold calculation of the execution severely undermines the story. Jackman and Weitz strike pretty, "important" poses as doctor and patient, but in reality this is nothing more than eighties movie of the week stuff. Yes, we have it all: the gasping pauses and the tears whenever anyone says "die" around the wife; the somehow unblemished, radiant, and wise dying cancer patient; the distraught, powerless husband angrily throwing things and then collapsing into a crying fit on the floor; the wife slipping away silently just as the cure for her condition is found. Turgid, turgid stuff. Even Lifetime doesn't make them like this anymore.

Without anything in the film to emotionally connect with as an audience, we are left to ponder the symbolism and the Big Ideas. Certainly Aronofsky has worked out a complex diagram for his Ideas. Unfortunately, the basic premise of the movie - death leads to rebirth, leading to eternal life - isn't really as smart or as complex as Aronofsky believes. The movie itself attests to its own self-importance, with its glacial pace and funereal, somber tone; it wouldn't have been any more obvious if, during the movie, Aronofsky himself appeared onscreen and said, "Pay attention. This is really important."

While Aronofsky, during the editing phase, should have realized how ponderous and pretentious this high school thesis/film seemed, his direction is quite interesting. The film's strong point comes from the cinematography by Matthew Libatique; there may not be a more beautiful looking film in 2006.

Ultimately, "The Fountain" provides lots of eye candy and little else. By creating a film without real characters and situations, and loading it with pretentious Big Ideas, the water in Aronofsky's "The Fountain" proves to be shallow and cold, indeed.

11 Comments:

At 2:10 AM, Blogger Me said...

I would have never guessed this would end up a review for a film. I did indeed feel the first paragraph.. as for the review itself, well, I have to see the film in question to fully understand what you're saying. Though you did paint a great picture.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Stevenapolis said...

Well Ray I think we both know the true meaning of the fountain; that Hugh Jackman loves to slurp up that sperm lookin tree sap!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

@ Orhan: Thanks :)

@ Stevenapolis: Yeah, it's SOOOO deep! Cum ejaculates from a tree, and Jackman slurps it up! What could it MEAN?? Oooh, let's PONDER it for a while...

This movie's gayer than "Brokeback."

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Sterculian Rhetoric said...

Brokeback Mountain:
Is a film about two cowboy. One night is a very cold so they fuck and with a many sheep to choose instead of man bottom, I no a understand. For me is a better they fuck with a they horses.
Time she a passes. Two gay cowboy they a marry women and have a the children but meet for sweaty man love. In a the end the two they a meet in a bar, kill all a those gay bashers and drink many mojitos and they a live happily every after except one a cowboy is shit.
For me Bareback a Mountain I give 20 out of a 10. This because it only took a me 20 minutes to go a sleep. Luckily this a time I don't snore too much so Mrs Luciano don't smash a my balls in like when we went to a Lost in Translation.

I wrote it in faux Italian accent, nice touch huh?

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

LOL good one, Sterculian.

I guess it must not be too terribly bad - it just got reposted by a movie website. Perhaps, in honor of your impressively powerful intellect, I will rewrite the review.

Nah, why pay you the respect? You're already past the point of respectable self-absorbtion.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

THAT'S an Italian accent? I thought you were doing Borat.

And no, not like they did in Brokeback.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Sterculian Rhetoric said...

"...past the point of respectable self-absorbtion. ..."

I'm past a lot of points my friend.
I mean no harm. I just can't for the life of me take anything seriously.
Borat uses a Hebrew/Yiddish accent. He's a cunt and a half.
As soon as I get noticed, I move on. I's the anti-blogging blogger.

Bilious C. Pudenda

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Woozie said...

I saw a preview for that movie during The Prestige and Borat, it didn't look very good. I didn't remember it well either, because in both cases it either preceded or came after a trailer for Apocalypto, and when the words "Mel Gibson's Apocalypto" showed up on the screen, a friend of mine said "Of The Jews!"

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering about The Fountain because anything with Hugh Jackman makes my ovaries stand up and clap. And if he's gay please don't tell me. Not that I had a chance with him if he were straight, but a girl can dream, can't she.
I lost a friend to a brain tumor two years ago this Christmas so the movie had seemed like something that would be thought provoking. Now I think I'll give it a pass. It's one thing to be a bit blue. It's quite another to be blue and seven dollars poorer after a bad movie.
Speaking of gay movies, I watched "V for Vendetta" on pay-per-view the other night. I thought it was good. OK, so I watched it three times because I like Hugo Weaving's voice. But they really overdid the gay stuff, I think. I wanted to scream, "OK, I GET IT" at the TV. I didn't need to see two chicks kissing to get the message.
Oh well, at least my husband enjoyed it.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Jon Boles said...

I rather enjoyed it myself. I saw the film as being a bit smug, but overall, I felt the symbolism was an effective way to articulate the stages of denial, grief, and acceptance of the loss of a loved one. One of those I'll end up watching again sooner or later.

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

madonna: the premier butcher of music

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Go here for free counters, bitches