Monday, February 12, 2007

Norbit's On Top ... And Bottom

(This article was originally published at www.therecshow.com)

“Norbit,” the latest “comedy” featuring Eddie Murphy’s schizophrenic, make-up aided talents, managed to consume $33 million dollars over the weekend. This means that roughly four million people used their movie choice to declare their complete and utter stupidity.

Of course, nobody watching the trends in film doubted that “Norbit” would hit big. Despite horrendous reviews, a 9% approval rating on RottenTomatoes.com, and curiously unfunny trailers, this film would succeed.

The burning question - WHY do films like this succeed? - leads one to an examination of the racial differences still lingering in this country. In addition to “Norbit,” we have had two “Big Momma’s House” movies, a succession of “Madea” incarnations, and countless other variations on the guy dressed up like a loud, fat black woman. Additionally, the “Scary Movie” films and all of their variants (the latest, “Epic Movie,” is out right now) have a strong ethnic background. Invariably, all of these films concentrate on grotesque, over-the-top caricatures, fart noises, bowel movements, tits and ass, and kicks to the groin.

These films are primarily black-oriented, made by black entertainers and supported by primarily black audiences. Why?

A racist might have his own and very wrong answer to that question. But are these films symptomatic of a system of education that has for years failed black culture? Surely, stupid movies have been made by white people - Jerry Lewis instantly springs to mind - but even those films have some point to make, or exhibit some sense of structure or intelligence. Films like “Norbit” exist solely on the premise that an obese, loud-mouthed, domineering black woman is inherently funny. By extention, then, that same fat black chick ripping a wet fart must be gut-clenchingly hilarious. And then, of course, you want to die laughing when it happens 200 more times.

Before I am called out as a racist, I would like to point out that many of these films I mention here contain some of the worst kinds of racist stereotyping; ask an Oriental person if they love watching Eddie Murphy do a “ching-ching-chong” rendition of a Chinese man in his new movie. Occasionally these films also play on black stereotypes, which is the same kind of hypocritical pass as black people calling each other “nigger.” No, changing it to “nigga” doesn’t make it better.

There must be some flashpoint in American culture that makes black people in this country create and flock to the dumbest, crudest, most humiliating forms of entertainment. Rap music is either pointlessly, ceaselessly violent or graphically sexual. Black-oriented movies are either brutal or a succession of fart jokes.

Whenever I see these films in theaters, I wonder about the dumbing down of culture, the dumbing down of our children; white kids too, but primarily the black kids. More and more I agree with Bill Cosby, who told black kids everywhere that if they want something in life, they need to educate themselves and carry themselves as responsible, respectable members of society. Cosby’s message, which is completely true, has unfortunately been lost amidst the farts of a fat black chick.

How sad.

-->

18 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

LOL I just KNEW you were going to play that card.

Here's the difference, I think: The entire Sarah Silverman act plays on the selfishness, self-centeredness, and PC-phony culture of current day America. Sarah is probably not like that in real life, at least she comes off differently in some of the raw handheld video I have seen of her taken by people and posted on the web.

Besides, you cannot watch that clip and not be amazed at the complexity of ideas she brings into a stupid fart joke. In the space of a few minutes, she weaves in world peace, the identity of God, and the base instincts of people. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised is she was doing fart jokes to make fun of shit like "Norbit."

The difference between that skit on her show and Norbit is that it has no other level of anything. It's the simplest, basest, and most pointless type of entertainment. Let's watch Murphy act like a deranged fat black chick and fart and slide down a water slide and fly through the air. And then fart.

I see the difference perfectly. You don't??

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

And yes, I do get your "master's degree" joke. I wasn't going to give you credit at first, but that's not playing fair on my part :)

I didn't respond to your Sarah comment from two posts ago now that I think of it, so I will do so here...

I honestly do not think she is unintelligent as you obviously do. She actually says something about human behavior in that, because she is attractive, she gets away with the things she says and does. Sadly, attractive people oftentimes get away with atrocious behavior because they are "adorable" or "hot" or whatever. I am constantly amazed at how deftly she uses this to her advantage in her act.

Case in point #1 - "The Aristocrats" ... she was easily the best thing in that movie. Not only did she do a brilliant reworking of the joke, but with perfect comic timing and acting she brought out ugly ideas inherent in the joke that often get overlooked.

Case in point #2 - That clip. As I said before, there are subtexts to what she is doing underneath the obvious fart joke part. On top of that, she shows herself to be a fine comedic actress.

Hopefully she doesn't waste her chances like Sandra Bernhard.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Me said...

Although I agree with the point of the article I don't agree with most of what is said. Are you telling me a film like Dumb & Dumber had a point? How about Kung Pow? And to make such an ignorant comment about rap music.. maybe he was attempting to get the point across with complicated irony.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

Um, Orhan ... I wrote that LOL.

I don't think that is an ignorant statement about rap music; in fact, I feel more strongly about rap than I do about these dumbass movies. Every single rap song is either pointlessly angry or sexist/sexualized. Ironically, the rapper that I think demonstrates the most range and creativity is a white guy - Eminem.

Like the article said, there are dumb comedies from white people too, although I would argue strenuously that Dumb and Dumber has a fine plot and interesting, unique characterizations, which is a hell of a lot more than "Norbit" has going for it.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Woozie said...

Yeah all the rappers that rapped about intelligent topics are retired or dead.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Woozie said...

Bill Cosby's right, you're right by the way.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Kønig Hasemörder said...

I haven't had that much exposure to Silverman. I rented the "Jesus is Magic" DVD a few months ago and found the whole thing lacking humor and annoying. I was even disappointed when she tried to make fun of Jesus, and that's saying something. The comedy I have seen from her seems to stem from Shock value or Taboos. To me there's nothing inherently funny about ether although both can be used successfully in comedy. If they are used I expect a higher level of complexity to be successful or else they're just shock and taboo.

Like I stated in the previous post, her farting is not funny, the Pope doing so while ordaining a Minister maybe... In this interview she said, "it's me on stage with a kind of umm, ignorance coupled with arrogance (smart ass grin).. all I'm trying to do is make people laugh." Perhaps she is just to good at acting because It seems like she is just being herself making fun of undereducated people while emphasizing her feelings of superiority. I don't need humor to be sophisticated, I like Jim Carry. I always had the impression that it is "her" on stage using packaged techniques to get the audience in a position of not knowing what to think so laughing is a defense from looking not "in the know". Apparently I'm not "in the know" and don't find that inherently funny. She is hot but my day dreams of hitting her with tomatoes ruins it.

At the end of the clip she redid her "I love Chinks" joke. I understand that it is intended to be funny because it shows someone being racist without knowing they're racist. I just find it hard to believe that she knows that race does not exist which is the only way for that joke to be funny. I love niggers, not funny. I love crackers, not funny. I love people from families who recently descended from Africa, funny. But your going to have to put your masters degree to work.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Kønig Hasemörder said...

These films are primarily black-oriented, made by black entertainers and supported by primarily black audiences. Why?

BET

PH.D. required

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

@ Wooz: Hmmm ... curiously unopinionated about this one. I actually value your input, so if that's how you feel, then thanks.

@ Konig: There were definitely funny parts of "Jesus is Magic," although I agree that she was trying too hard in some places to be shocking. I liked her little story about Jesus being "magic," although I think she left some comedic meat on the bone and didn't use the material there to its full potential. However, her riff about killing Jesus again was pretty dumb.

But even you must admit there is something funny about her singing "You're Gonna Die Soon" at the nursing home. I love the line: "It's not cold in here, you're just dying." She takes the youth-obsession of America and extrapolates it into its ridiculous extreme. I thought it was shocking, funny, and brilliant.

I am not sure what to make of your "there is no race" comment. While I do not personally judge people based on nationalities and such, the fact of the matter is that most people in this world do. Until everyone on earth is completely free of racism, there will always be a definition of race.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Kønig Hasemörder said...

There will always be a definition of race.

Even when people become enlightened to the fact that race does not exist there will still be a definition of race, here it is.

Race n. grouping people based on subjectively defined qualities such as skin color, eye shape and hair texture.

Race is parallel to breed. A dachshund can be disqualified from being a dachshund by having legs that are too long. A human can be disqualified from being Black if their nose is too narrow, skin too light or hair not kinky enough.

Racism n. the belief in race.

Racism is not usually not accompanied by violence or hate, that is the world of xenophobia. Racism always is accompanied by irrational discrimination, such as not hiring a "yellow" person or giving a "black" person a grant for collage.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Kshitij L said...

Eddie Murphy is stupid. Support Spike Lee joints!

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Not Your Mama said...

Never liked Murphy but I don't like Adam Sandler either. And yeah, I like Silverman. Not as much as say, Lewis Black, but she's ok.

Why is the film popular? Maybe because a lot of people like really crude, slapstick humor. Maybe because it's currently socially acceptable to make fun of fat people (especially women) and so many groups are off limits now people are starved for someone to make fun of. Maybe it's just that we humans are basically pigs, you know, the other white meat.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Pixie said...

I agree with most of what mama said.

But I dont see how its only black people who like crude humour like this, I know if a movie has tits and ass in then most men are gonna watch it.

Pisses me off really, afterall we women never get to see any dicks do we!

;)

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Kønig Hasemörder said...

Thought you might like this pixie.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Pixie said...

LOL Kønig Hasemörder I have seen that, but I have to say seeing it your face the second time around still is a bit of a shock.

But anyway still pictures are not the same as when they are wiggling about on the big screen.
Its still not fair.

;)

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

Hmmm...most comedies are dumb to me.
I hope I don't offend, but my experience has been that men(black, white or what-ever) are more apt to appreciate slap-stick humor that includes things like farting.

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Me said...

Sorry dude, didn't mean to be too harsh. When I think of rap I certenly don't think of anything modern, especially not Marshall Mathers.

But like I said intially, I agree with your point :)

P.S. Happy Valentines right back at you, babes.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Woozie said...

Spike Lee is a pretentious cock/Malcolm X wannabe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Go here for free counters, bitches