Saturday, January 13, 2007

Trolls

I write because I have an actual love of the practice. I have a degree in English, much to my father's dismay, because I love the language. Writing for me takes many forms; I write scripts, I have a couple of novels on the backburner (who doesn't?), and I sometimes write poetry (again, who doesn't?). Blogging has, for me, been a nice diversion; a way to write compact mini-essays about the world around me. It's like a diary, except in expanded form.

I also enjoy reading and commenting on the blogs of others. Commenting becomes an extension of the piece; sometimes details are fleshed out, and other times a brand new topic arises from the comments of others. I view it as part of my responsibility to make sure that the voices of others are heard by me, to encourage them to continue to write so that they can have the same enjoyment I receive.

However, the thing that confuses me are those pathetic, worm-like infantessimal pricks out there whose sole contribution is to jump onto blogs and make ridiculous and usually inflammatory comments. They usually do not have a blog of their own - they wouldn't want to expose themselves to retaliation - and it is quite doubtful that they have any meaningful and unique thoughts of their own anyway.

Do these people have nothing better to do in their miserable lives than spend a Saturday night cowering anonymously on the internet like a shriveled, impotent cock and disparaging the work of others? What pathetic and insecure mentality needs such sad gratification?

I am very grateful to have met many of you; I am constantly surprised at the genius I see in many posts and comments. But to the trolls out there, crying desperately for attention, I recommend that you find a therapist, a girlfriend/boyfriend, a friend, or a gun.

Life's too damn short for the likes of you.

15 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Blogger Me said...

Blogging has, for me, been a nice diversion; a way to write compact mini-essays about the world around me.

So very well put.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger sammyray said...

Thanks Orhan :)

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, brother. I don't understand them either. They seem to think it's funny to pop in, drop a belligerent, childish turd into an otherwise adult conversation and then flee.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@sammy...I think you need to spend less time blogging and more time with your wife and kids.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....I mean gay man lover.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Omnipotent Poobah said...

Hey! Who ya callin' a "pathetic, worm-like infantessimal prick"? I'll have you know I'm more "stick-like" than worm-like.

Actually, I like those people. They make me feel superior.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

Trolls are just inevitable & I guess, if nothing else, they exemplify the freedom of speech.
The blog world, to me, is a great little escape. Some of these folks I consider my 'virtual' friends & extended family.

 
At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

omnipotent poobah makes a good point. How can you not feel superior to someone who thinks calling someone else gay is like totally the worst insult everrr. Feh.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

@ Skinny: Missed ya, by the way :)

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

I missed you too, although I'm still haunted by an image I saw here (LOL) Ahhh...the freedom of expression.
The freedom to speak is like telling a rapist that, because he has a cock, he should stick it in anything he likes Ummm, I disagree, but understand the analogy here in the blogworld. The troll wasn't specifically invited in, like a victim doesn't specifically invite a rapist in. I had a stalker of sorts on another blog & found it frustrating but he ended up underminding himself & just going away.
One of my favorite bumper stickers is 'Fuck Censorship' just because I value people's rights to make asses out of themselves ... lol, I do it all the time!

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Mo Diggs said...

Hey sammy
you got to tell me where u got that logo on the top of your blog
e-mail me and let me know

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger sammyray said...

Mo...I left a message on your Friday blog entry for an answer :)

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Pixie said...

Hmm I never get comments from trolls.
I just don't have the charisma you do SR.

:)

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger iz said...

Awww let the poor bastards be! Making nasty comments must be so beating sitting around naming their private parts all day. What say?

Enjoyed your writing.

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Do these people have nothing better to do in their miserable lives than spend a Saturday night cowering anonymously on the internet like a shriveled, impotent cock and disparaging the work of others?"

I a word, no.

But I think that description doesn't just apply to non-bloggers but also to plenty of bloggers as well who seem to have nothing better to do than start pissing matches with people they disagree with.

I'm not blaming any of this on the Internet. If there were no Internet, trolls, disaffected bloggers and Web-addicts would be out there harrassing their neighbors or exposing themselves or whatever. The Internet allows disaffected types to actually get noticed by their betters, which is what they really want. I've had my share of people who disagree with me and yet are too inept to debate me over disagreements. So they stop by and anonymously call me a cunt or a bitch or whatever.

Do I feel sorry for them? No, I don't feel anything. Scum is scum and no matter how much we dislike it, it's part of the landscape. But because it dwells in the sub-reaches, scum is easily ignored. And that is the best way to treat it. That's the best way to bring it pain. Scum hates being ignored. So say nothing, do nothing. Eventually it will wither and die.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, Sammyray. You rock. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Go here for free counters, bitches