Sunday, October 29, 2006

Greatest Female Vocalists - Number ONE

And here we are, at the pinnacle of Sammyray's Greatest Female Vocalists of all time list! Exciting, ain't it??

Here are the first four on my list:
Number FIVE: Sinead O'Connor
Number FOUR: Anne Wilson
Number THREE: Tina Turner
Number TWO: Etta James

Those are all wonderful singers - I think - but my number one is the complete package.

Number ONE:
Annie Lennox

No doubt many of you will vehemently disagree with this choice, and many others will mumble "Who the fuck is THAT?" Shame on all of you.

Annie Lennox is the female voice of the most successful duo in Europe, Eurythmics. After the breakup of Eurythmics in 1991, Annie went on to a wildly successful solo career before reteaming with bandmate Dave Stewart in the early part of the millennium for two more albums as Eurythmics. She remains perhaps the greatest pure singer of her generation, as well as an iconic visual artist.

Annie might not have the purest voice or the greatest range, but her versatility and warmth overcome any shortcomings. A truly great female vocalist is one that brings out the emotion of a song. Annie does that effortlessly, and in addition, she can do this with any style of song. From hard edged rock songs, pure pop, classical arrangements (for which she won an Oscar for "Into the West" from the Lord of the Rings), among others, Annie's voice is a singular, hypnotic instrument. Like no other female vocalist, Annie is capable of projecting feminine warmth and masculine chills within heartbeats of each other.

Here she is in Eurythmics' signature tune, "Sweet Dreams (are made of this)." Brilliant video, by the way...

Note her chilly vocals there. Now listen to her take a 180 degree turn in "Would I Lie To You?" By the way, those fat black chicks aren't singing the punchy backup vocals there - Annie sang every part.

Now, listen to total warmth, live, singing "Miracle of Love" - pay attention to her beautiful closing of the song:


And here she is last year, singing her solo smash "Why" in support of African relief. Not only does she show off her tremendous vocal presence, but also her rarely credited instrumental talents.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! I remember hearing and seeing her so many years ago, and it changed everything for me. Love ya, Annie!

There ya go. Sound off on my choices, if you can!!

19 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Woozie said...

I predict you're going to do men next.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger sammyray said...

Excuse me?? Are you impugning my sexuality? I thought you were the one getting "anally raped" this weekend...

Actually, I really don't like that many male singers to the point that I'd make a list. Besides, I kinda want to talk about some other things.

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Kshitij L said...

Whaa? Annie whaa?

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Woozie said...

I wasn't 'impugning' your sexuality Mr. Flynn, I just figured you did women, then you'd do men. THAT time I was 'impugning' your sexuality.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger Karen said...

So odd question from the fabulous Mag-Delicious and I... Who are you?

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

@Suspect: I wouldn't expect you to understand.

@ Woozie: You can do more than simply impugn my sexuality -wink-

@Karen: I saw your response to another blog, and followed the happy link to your blog. I think I just liked the name or something, and then I liked the blog, too :)

 
At 1:11 AM, Blogger Kshitij L said...

All hail Bob Dylan.

Once you're done, all hail me!

So many karens roaming around here...

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

Blasphemy!!!!!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger sammyray said...

What do you mean, Orhan?? Do you not agree??

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

Annie Lenox, I do beleive she was on my list(previous comment)too...even though, I couldn't be limited to 5!
Rock On!
BTW~ I only sometimes come here because I am a girl, who is much older than you, & can only handle so much deep-throating. I thought you might enjoy the fact that you 'vomit' picture induced nightmares over here.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger sammyray said...

Oh, skinny ... you weren't the only one with nightmares, I can assure you.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Mo Diggs said...

Hmm decent list.
I bet Aretha Franklin feels lonely though.

You know a music geek will disagree with any list right.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Butchie said...

Astrud Gilberto.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger roosterjackson said...

that is the the most confused list i have ever seen...pure garbage

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger roosterjackson said...

perhaps i was a little harsh in my comment. you are entitled to your opinions. those singers are respected singers. to make a list and number it implies some sort of form criteria which seems to be missing from your list. the fact that you have a list devoted to female singers only (and those singers specifically) and no interest in male singers is a little peculiar....

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

Well, if you had bothered to read all of the entries on that list, then on the very first one (Sinead O'Connor) I mention that I really don't care for male singers that much. In fact, the list is entitled "Greatest Female Singers of all time." It might be odd to include male singers on such a list, unless I am talking about Boy George.

You need to go back to reading comprehension in grade school.

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger roosterjackson said...

as a list of personal favorites though it is at least acceptable..i don't listen to enough female singers to make an educated list.
i like ella fitzgerald, sarah vaughn, debbie harry, and i don't know

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger roosterjackson said...

no need to get your panties in a bunch

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger roosterjackson said...

when i mentioned males i was referring to your response on a previous comment

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Go here for free counters, bitches