Saturday, October 28, 2006

Greatest Female Vocalists - Number THREE

And the hits just keep on comin'.

We are counting down my picks for Greatest Female Vocalists.

Number FIVE: Sinead O'Connor
Number FOUR: Anne Wilson

Before going onto Number THREE, I must get this one out of the way:

Number THREE (point) FIVE:
Whitney Houston

Damn you, Whitney! You just had to get all cracked up with that talentless junkie pimp Bobby Brown, and RUINED your damn self.

The fact is that Whitney probably has the best technical voice on this or any other list. Listen to this:

Unfortunately, Whitney's overall poor and limited song output leaves her off of this list proper. WHAT A WASTE!!!!

Now, onto the real list:

Number THREE:

Tina Turner

Tina's voice - my God. An unstoppable force of raw sexual power. Her voice is so nuanced and flexible that she basically defined four decades of American music.

Here she is with one of her first original songs, "Nutbush City Limits." Joy and sexual energy just radiates effortlessly out of her in this live performance:


Here is what I consider her best vocal performance, absolutely nailing Phil Spector's wall of sound classic "River Deep, Mountain High."
And finally, here is Tina during her eighties comeback, reworking "Proud Mary" by Creedence Clearwater Revival into a triumphant firestorm:

Man, I don't care who you are - you must want to fuck Tina Turner!!! I can only imagine that sex with her would be like intercourse with a cougar, or a bear, or some other highly dangerous animal/natural event.

WHEW!!! Damn, she does it for me!!! Ike, you're a dumbshit!

Well, we are just two away from number ONE. Figured it out yet?

10 Comments:

At 5:18 AM, Blogger Fidel Castro said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Fidel Castro said...

Alright. I quit now. You said "versatile", and though Tina's a great powerhouse performer, there's nothing versatile about her voice.

And I don't want to fuck her. Her fondness for microphones scares me.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Kshitij L said...

Well, yeah, Tina Turner was great.

But she doesn't compare, not at ALL, with guys like Bob Dylan or the Beatles or Led Zeppelin or the Who or the Stones or -- you mentioned them in the post -- CC Revival.

Maybe it's because I'm into classic rock, pre-1980s, but apart from the chick in Fleetwood Mac, can't say I've found anyone of great quality.

And please, don't play the Nationality Card (TM) on me. I'm sick of it, sick of being categorized as a "curry-eating cow-worshipping job-stealing woman-hating Indian". So what if 70% of my country is sexist? So what is 50% of my country can't read and write? That has absolutely NO RELATION with my beliefs and abilities, and I hope you'll remember that. I mean, come on 95% of India has strong religious beliefs. Does that have ANYTHING AT ALL with my religious beliefs? And 80% of Indians can't solve an equation. Again, this does not bear upon my mathematics at all.

I thought you were above this shit. You disappointed me with that comment.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger sammyray said...

@ Scorpio - I think Tina's versatility comes from the fact that she transcended so mant styles of mujsic over the course of her career. She was one of the first real female rock and blues singers to popularize the forms ... she did disco, she tackled pop music, and adult contemporary.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger sammyray said...

@ Suspect - I was not trying to insult you - I was merely asking if that had any bearing.

Although now I might insult you: I think you need your head examined if you think Bob Dylan is any kind of actual vocalist. Or if you somehow think that Bob Dylan is better than any woman I might choose on this list, even if I went to an old folk's home and picked a woman there at random. BOB DYLAN CANNOT SING AT ALL. I can whistle out of my asshole better than any sound that comes out of that man's mouth. HE IS A GREAT SONGWRITER. HE CANNOT SING AT ALL.

lol

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Woozie said...

Bob Dylan's voice is right for his songs, and his songs only.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Fidel Castro said...

"She was one of the first real female rock and blues singers to popularize the forms ... she did disco, she tackled pop music, and adult contemporary."

Pandering to the times does not necessarily equal versatility. And by your own reasoning, she hasn't released an album in awhile, so she's worthless now, right? Means nothing to music?

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger sammyray said...

Not at all - Tina is relevant to music because she helped INVENT some of it LOL

No, she doesn't sing anymore, which is a shame. In no way does that reduce her achievements as one of the very greatest female singers of all time.

"Pandering to the times" ... hmmmm... I didn't say versatile as an ARTIST - I said versatile as a SINGER - there is a difference there. The woman can tackle any style of music she chooses, because she is a brilliant and soulful singer. Let's face it: Tina is not a true and complete artist, because she rarely wrote her own music.

There is a difference. I am making a list of my favorite female vocalists, not artists. A couple of the women on this list are also artists of the highest rank. But not every one of them.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger sammyray said...

Wooz, Bob Dylan's voice is barely adequate even on his songs. His voice might be the worst voice in music history. If not, he gives Robert Smith of the Cure and Johnny Rotten of Sex Pistols a run for their money as worst male vocalists of all time. Bob Dylan makes Mick Jagger look like Julio Eglasias.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Anne said...

Joss Stone? Diana Krall? Aretha Franklin?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Go here for free counters, bitches