Friday, September 29, 2006

The Plastic Kingdom

Recently I spoke with a friend who extolled the virtues of Disneyworld. Such praise would be like you or I praising our rapist because he had such a beautiful dick.

I went to Disneyworld in 1996. Granted, I was not five years old when I accompanied a group of friends that summer, but I expected more for my gas-guzzling trek down there, the $42,000 I spent on a park pass, the $1,500 meals, and the $12.95 I forked over to use the goddamn bathroom. To put it simply, I expected to be entertained.

The very first thing one notices when entering Disneyworld is how the place is Satanically cut off from the rest of reality. Literally, we spent 14 hours driving there through torrential downpours, only to see it suddenly stop as we pulled through the gates of Disney. The sky parted, the sun burst from the clouds, and little bluebirds flitted about whistling songs. I knew we were in trouble.

I literally RAN to the theme parks with my friends, eager to feast upon this gigantic park filled with exciting rides and wondrous shows. After all, had I not spent nearly three years' worth of wages for the experience? To my dismay, however, the rides at Disneyworld lack a key quality needed for any kind of excitement: discernible motion. Every ride at Disney consists of the Idiot - in this case, me - sitting in a car/boat. Said car/boat moves very slowly through a trough of water or on rails past scenes of animatronic robots singing songs. Or simply waving. After approximately 20 rides, I began plotting animatronic murder.

A few days passed, every one more disappointing than the last. Rides billed as "a white water adventure" turned out to be a boat slipping past creepy robots waving from behind "trees," all shouting in pre-recorded unison, "Welcome to Holland!" I began to hallucinate. I lost track of reality, and I started to question everything; a bench that appeared to be real wood proved to be plastic. If I saw an animal, I looked for wires protruding out of its ass. I wanted rain and mosquitos to verify the reality I vaguely remembered prior to arriving. Instead, humans in giant Disney character costumes kept touching and grabbing me, every one of them with a credit card reader in their hands.

Finally, we reached Epcot. I remembered Epcot primarily for the giant, silver, geodesic sphere in the center of the place. As a child, I always imagined the wonders that might be contained within that beautiful orb. What could be inside? Aliens? Candy? My childish imagination never let go of its dreams about it. So imagine my excitement as I stood in line at the Sphere, about to enter this holy place. My fears returned as I was placed into another little car. Slowly, the car ascended into the Sphere. Robots acted out various scenes in the advancement of telecommunications. I thought to myself, "Why on earth are we learning about telecommunications HERE??" At the end I found out: As our car came to a stop, we were faced with an unambiguous message in bright red neon: "AT+T". A fucking commercial! The beautiful, silver Sphere of Disney is a fucking commercial!

I stumbled into the light of the Disney-made day, and vowed to never return.

Ever since this rape occurred to me, friends have insisted that I was too old to enjoy the place. Perhaps. However, a place that presents itself as a Paradise can only be one to those who are wealthy and privileged. The entire park is a money funnel, designed to siphon huge amounts of cash from the wallets of the most cash-strapped families: young families. Or rather, young white, middle-class families.

I think the idea of a trash-free, clean fantasy world is a beautiful one. Just give me some fun with a theme park. I like some bang for my buck, as you all know.

Thanks Disney!

12 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha. Thats funny shit! I remember you telling me about this unfortunate v
vacation ten years ago.Reminds me of the scene from A Christmas Story, where the kid FINALLY gets his decoder pen in the mail and the secret message says "Drink your ovaltine!" I imagine you with the same disapointed look on your face! Keep the posts comin' skippy

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

Exactly. And just like Ralphie, I muttered to myself, "Son of a BITCH!"

Imagine if you took your kids camping. Not only is it cheaper, but they can learn valuable life skills, as well as learn about nature and the world around them.

At Disney, they learn how to enter their debit card PIN number.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Stevenapolis said...

I went there myself about three years ago. Not only did my mother leave broke, but I left pissed off at the lack of anything including amusement. Disney = Evil.

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Jon Boles said...

The reason why the weather stopped at the gates is because Walt, being a crony of the US government for the longest time, received secret technology that allowed him to control the weather in order to ensure visiting hordes would never be inconvenienced.

Kidding, of course, but I don't doubt the place is the lair of Satan and his flock if they exist. Fuck that place.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Kshitij L said...

$42,000 ??? Did you put in two extra zeroes?

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger sammyray said...

Suspect: No, I didn't add a few extra zeroes...I added some extra sarcasm.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Woozie said...

You're not too old, you're just...strange. You should have known that $42k was a ripoff from the start. Year before last in February my mom and I were there for 4 days, only spent $10k. It was awesome, but we didn't go on any rides. We spent most of our time at Epcot and the kick ass hotel.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Me said...

Wait, what?!

You had to pay to use the bathroom?! That alone would've caused me to kill people and break things.

Accomadate their arses! All of them!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Kshitij L said...

> Only $10k

WHAT THE FUCK? Only? ONLY? You can buy a small sized CAR for that much! TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for a visit to Disneyland?

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Woozie said...

We live on a budget all fuckin year, when we travel we don't do budgets. Besides, 30% of that was spent on a white gold bracelet with diamonds, pearls and sapphire, but I didn't tell you that.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Mo Diggs said...

You need to check out Coney Island and give me your review.

Coney Island has ghetto kids and hipsters (siren festival, mermaid parade) as well

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Fidel Castro said...

I was scarred for life by a visit to Disneyworld. There was a mechanical malfunction and I was stuck inside the "It's a Small World After All" ride for over an hour with that satanic song playing over and over and over. To this day I'm terrified of children and plaster garden gnomes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Go here for free counters, bitches